Victims of 1998 U.S. Embassy Bombing Seek Compensation from the government.

by Helvine Achieng
May 20, 2021

Several victims of August 7, 1998, U.S. embassy bombing have filed a petition at the Milimani Law Courts seeking compensation from the Kenyan government. The petitioners, a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) named Legal Advice Centre (Kituo cha Sheria), and five others say they lost their loved ones while some sustained severe injuries following the terror attack.


The petitioners have argued that their lives have never been the same since the bombing since they still undergo pain, sadness, anger, stress, and trauma.


"While some of the victims including the United State Government employees killed or injured in the August 7 attack have been compensated and awarded, (we) have been excluded from the compensation on grounds that (we're) neither American citizens, employees or contractors," read court documents.


The petitioners further claim the State and its machinery were negligent. The move comes after it was announced in March that Sudan had paid $335m (£244m) as compensation for victims of past attacks against U.S. targets. The deal, however, only includes punitive damages to families of victims or those injured who are U.S. nationals or U.S. embassy workers.


"I felt awful [to hear about the compensation deal]… We were affected because of the enmity between the U.S. and the attackers. They should give us consideration," Kenyan civil servant Diana Mutisya told the BBC last month.

The 60-year-old civil servant said one of her lungs no longer functions, and she has to use an orthopaedic chair while at work.


"I'm spending over Ksh80,000 ($750; £545) monthly on therapy alone," she said.

"Americans cannot be superior, we are all human beings… If anything we're innocent, this thing happened because of them. They [the attackers] were targeting the American embassy where they knew American citizens were."


The U.S. media reported that each American victim or family of the U.S. embassy attacks will receive $3m, while locally employed staff will receive $400,000. A total of 85 survivors or families of victims will be compensated.