Drama from nominees after Oscars announce no virtual ceremony.

by Helvine Achieng
March 26, 2021

According to Hollywood publications, the “No Zoom” policy for this year’s Oscars ceremony is proving a headache for multiple nominees who live outside the United States and who are still under pandemic restrictions.

Many reports were tabled, and some studio executives have complained to the film academy about logistics, costs and quarantine issues raised by the decision to bar nominees from taking part in the ceremony remotely. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which organizes the ceremony, did not return a request for comment on the reports.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the April 25 show to hand out the highest honours in the movie industry will be held both at Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles and the traditional home of the Academy Awards Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.

Last week, the Oscar Producers said that there will “not be an option to Zoom in for the show” and encouraged nominees to attend in person.

At least nine nominees, including “Promising Young Woman” director Emerald Fennell and star Carey Mulligan, live in Britain. England next week is expected to ban non-essential international travel until mid-May.

Some of the other 200 or so nominees will be working on productions that require quarantine or living in restricted “bubbles” with cast and crew, the publications added.

Visitors to California are currently expected to quarantine for ten days. Variety said a meeting this week to discuss the issues between the Academy, movie studio executives and publicists had been cancelled.

In recent months, other awards have replaced the usual in-person gatherings at gala dinners and on stage with pre-recorded appearances or virtual events, or a combination of those with small in-person gatherings.